May all your Christmases be green!
Recycling officers from across the county will be hitting the streets over the coming weeks to spread a Christmas message with a difference. Council staff will be holding roadshows in shopping areas and market places to give tips on how to have a green Christmas.
While the festive season is a time of cheer, goodwill to all and for spending time with the ones we love, with three million tonnes of waste generated, it’s also a time of spending far too much on items that we can’t or won’t be able to use.
The Green Christmas roadshows will showcase recycled and sustainable gift ideas for family, friends and animals! Staff will offer green tips to reduce waste and even save money. Green Santa may also take time out of his busy schedule to lend his support.
Oxfordshire Waste Partnership (OWP) is providing recycled wrapping paper to be given away free at the events. Partnership coordinator Wayne Lewis says, "At this time of year it's easy to get carried away and forget about how much extra waste our festivities generate. Small actions won’t spoil our enjoyment of the holidays, but will send a huge goodwill gesture to the environment.”
Cllr John Tanner, OWP chair adds, "Education is a vital ingredient of our plan to get more and more of us to recycle. Offering help and advice to residents at events like these will help us increase our recycling rates and reduce the amount of waste going to landfill."
"While I'm planning a traditional Christmas, I’ll still be making sure to do my bit for the environment by recycling my cranberry sauce jars and putting my sprout peelings in the compost bin." says John.
Roadshow dates and locations
- Thursday 20 November, 4pm to 8pm - Bicester Christmas Lights switch on
- Sunday 30 November, 10.30am to 5.30pm - Banbury Christmas Lights switch on
- Tuesday 2 December, 3pm to 8pm - Kidlington Christmas Lights switch on
- Wednesday 3 December, 9.30am - Gloucester Green Market, Oxford
- Friday 5 December, 8am to 1pm - Banbury Farmers’ Market
- Monday 8 December, 10am to 4pm - Templars Square, Oxford
- Tuesday 9 December, 8am to 3pm Waitrose, Thame
- Wednesday 10 December, 10am to 4pm - Westgate Shopping Centre, Oxford
- Thursday 11 December, 10am to 4pm - Waitrose, Henley-on-Thames
- Thursday 11 December, 8.30am to 2pm - Bicester Farmers’ Market
- Saturday 13 December, 9.30am to 5.30pm - Sheep Street, Bicester
- Monday 15 December, 10am to 4pm - Tesco, Wallingford Road, Didcot
- Tuesday 16 December, 10am to 4pm - New Street Car Park, Chipping Norton
- Tuesday 16 December, 9.30am to 2pm - Waitrose, Wallingford
- Wednesday 17 December, 8.30am to 1.30pm - Witney Farmers’ Market
- Thursday 18 December, 10am to 4pm - Co-op, Black Bourton Road, Carterton
- Friday 19 December, 8.30am to 1.30pm - Abingdon Farmers’ Market, Market Place
- Saturday 20 December, 9.30am to 5.30pm - Watts Way, Kidlington
See our Christmas recycling page for more festive tips and facts, and a recycled products guide.